Listen Imagine Compose offers an accredited programme at Masters level as part of its Continuing Professional Development programme for secondary music teachers.
This is available nationally and is accredited by Birmingham City University. From 2021/22, learners will be awarded a Master of Educational Practice.
“I like how the coursework feeds directly into my work in the classroom… to develop my practice and improve my students’ results and enthusiasm for the subject.”
Jaime Gibson, Hammersmith Academy; 2016/17 MTL cohort
About the Masters course
- Listen Imagine Compose is designed to enable secondary music teachers develop skills in teaching composing with KS3, KS4 and KS5 students
- The course delivery team is led by Professor Martin Fautley, supported by professional composers and musicians
- The course is accredited by Birmingham City University at Level 7 (Certificate/ Diploma/ Masters)
- Stage 1: Learners can transfer Level 7 credits from their PGCE or undertake additional modules
- Stage 2: The Listen Imagine Compose year comprises 6 x 3-hour sessions plus additional time spent reading, undertaking research and assignments
- Stage 3: A Professional Practice Enquiry is completed in the final year, completing the Masters qualification
- All three stages focus on the learner’s professional practice in the teaching and learning of composing
- Listen Imagine Compose is being delivered online in 2020/21; it is expected that 2021/22 will be a blend of online and in-person sessions
- The next cohort will start in October 2021; express your interest in the course here
During the course teachers will:
- Reflect on what composing with young people entails
- Reflect on their professional practice in teaching composing
- Learn new creative strategies for teaching composing
- Develop pedagogic strategies for teaching composing
- Develop existing schemes of work
- Be mentored by a leading academic and teacher trainer
- Work with professional composers
- Network and learn from other participating secondary music teachers
Download a short guide to the Listen Imagine Compose course and Birmingham City University’s guide to its Masters courses.
Dates for the 2021/22 course:
Dates for the 2021/22 course are below, all 10am – 1pm over zoom. We will review whether to deliver all sessions online in the light of developments in the Covid-19 situation.
Sunday 10th October
Sunday 7th November
Sunday 28th November
Sunday 27th February
Sunday 20th March
Sunday 26th June
A Masters degree is in 3 stages (see the downloadable guide above). Most learners undertaking the Listen Imagine Compose course will join the qualification at Stage 2.
Stage 1: Learners with a PGCE or equivalent can use these credits in lieu of completing Stage 1 at no additional cost or a small fee (in the region of £50). This is done one a case-by-case basis, contact us for more information. For those without Level 7 credits, additional modules can be compled for an additional cost of £600/20 credits.
Stage 2: This is the Listen Imagine Compose course. The cost for 2021/22 is £2,500.
Stage 3: Is a further year of part-time study required to complete the Masters qualification. The cost of Stage 3 for those starting Stage 2 in 2021/22 is £2,500.
There is no requirement to commit to all the stages from the outset and it is possible to pay for each stage in installments.
Contact Judith Robinson if you would like to know how the accreditation works or if you have any other questions!
I’ve used so many compositional techniques from Listen Imagine Compose with my A level students. It’s really helped unlock the mystery that is composing for them!
– Nick Hughes, Head of Performing Arts Faculty, Robert Smyth Academy, current student