Listen Imagine Compose offers an accredited programme at Masters level as part of its Continuing Professional Development programme for secondary music teachers.
This is available nationally and is accredited by Birmingham City University. From 2021/22, learners will be awarded a Masters in Educational Practice.
“I like how the coursework feeds directly into my work in the classroom… to develop my practice and improve my students’ results and enthusiasm for the subject.”
Jaime Gibson, Hammersmith Academy; 2016/17 MTL cohort
About the Masters course
- Listen Imagine Compose is designed to enable secondary music teachers develop skills in teaching composing with KS3, KS4 and KS5 students
- The course delivery team includes Professor Martin Fautley, Professor Pam Burnard, Gary Spruce and Dr. Jonathan Savage, supported by professional composers and musicians
- The course is accredited by Birmingham City University at Level 7 (Certificate/ Diploma/ Masters)
- Stage 1: Teachers can transfer Level 7 credits from their PGCE or undertake additional modules
- Stage 2: The Listen Imagine Compose year comprises 6 x 3–hour sessions plus additional time spent reading, undertaking research and assignments
- Stage 3: A Professional Practice Enquiry is completed in the final year, completing the Masters qualification
- All three stages enable the learner to focus on their professional practice in the teaching and learning of composing
- Listen Imagine Compose is being delivered online in 2020/21; plans for 2021/22 are not yet confirmed
- The next cohort will start in October 2021; express your interest in the course here
During the course teachers will:
- Reflect on what composing with young people entails
- Reflect on their professional practice in teaching composing
- Learn new creative strategies for teaching composing
- Develop pedagogic strategies for teaching composing
- Develop existing schemes of work
- Be mentored by a leading academic and teacher trainer
- Work with professional composers
- Network and learn from other participating secondary music teachers
Download a short guide to the Listen Imagine Compose course and Birmingham City University’s guide to its Masters courses.
Dates for the 2021/22 course:
Dates for the 2021/22 course have not yet been set but will follow a similar pattern as the 2020/21 course which are below.
Sunday 11th October
Sunday 8th November
Sunday 29th November
Sunday 28th February
Sunday 21st March
Sunday 27th June
A Masters degree is in 3 stages (see the downloadable guide above). Most learners undertaking the Listen Imagine Compose course will join the qualification at Stage 2.
Stage 1: Teachers with a PGCE or equivalent can use these credits in lieu of completing Stage 1 at no additional cost or a small fee (in the region of £50). This is done one a case-by-case basis, contact us for more information.
Stage 2: This is the Listen Imagine Compose course. The cost for 2021/22 is £2,500.
Stage 3: Is a further year of part-time study required to complete the Masters qualification. The cost of Stage 3 for those starting Stage 2 in 2021/22 is £2,500.
There is no requirement to commit to all the stages from the outset and it is possible to pay for each stage in installments.
Contact Judith Robinson if you would like to know how the accreditation works or if you have any other questions!
I’ve used so many compositional techniques from Listen Imagine Compose with my A level students. It’s really helped unlock the mystery that is composing for them!
– Nick Hughes, Head of Performing Arts Faculty, Robert Smyth Academy, current student