Listen Imagine Compose now offers a Masters in Teaching and Learning, as part of its Continuing Professional Development programme for secondary music teachers.
This is available nationally and is accredited by Birmingham City University. Learners can gain a Masters in Teaching and Learning or a Masters in Educational Leadership.
“I like how the course work feeds directly into my work in the classroom… to develop my practice and improve my students’ results and enthusiasm for the subject.”
Jaime Gibson, Hammersmith Academy; 2016/17 MTL cohort
About the CPD
- The CPD is designed to enable secondary music teachers develop skills in teaching composing with KS3, GCSE and A level students;
- The course delivery team includes Professor Martin Fautley, Professor Pam Burnard, Gary Spruce and Dr. Jonathan Savage, supported by professional composers and musicians;
- The course is accredited by Birmingham City University at Level 7 (Certificate/ Diploma/ Masters);
- The course can be delivered in any UK location as long as we have sufficient sign ups to make it viable;
- Students can be a mix of those who do and do not wish to be accredited, subject to being able to form a viable group;
- The year-long programme comprises 6 x 3 hour sessions plus additional time spent reflecting on professional practice and undertaking action research in the classroom;
- This year-long course will normally result in a Diploma in Teaching and Learning or Educational Leadership, assuming that the learner has sufficient prior accreditation (eg a PGCE);
- A further year of part-time study is required to reach Masters level.
- The next cohort will start in October 2018.
During the course teachers will:
- Reflect on what composing with young people entails;
- Learn new creative strategies for teaching composing;
- Develop pedagogic strategies for teaching composing;
- Develop existing schemes of work;
- Undertake Action Research;
- Be mentored by a leading academic and teacher trainer;
- Work with professional composers;
- Network and learn from other secondary music teachers participating in the CPD.
Download a short guide to the Listen Imagine Compose course here and Birmingham City University’s guide to its Masters courses.
Dates for the 2018/19 course:
The 2018/19 course will be held in Birmingham on the following dates:
- Sessions 1 & 2: Sunday 14 October 2018
- Sessions 3 & 4: Sunday 18 November 2018
- Session 5: Sunday 3 March 2019
- Session 6: Sunday 30 June 2019
Accredited course: A Masters degree is in 3 stages (see the downloadable guide above). Most learners undertaking the Listen Imagine Compose course will join the qualification at Stage 2.
Stage 1: Teachers with a PGCE or equivalent can use these credits in lieu of completing Stage 1 at no additional cost or a small fee (in the region of £50). This is done one a case-by-case basis, contact us for more information.
Stage 2: This is the Listen Imagine Compose taught course. The cost for 2018/19 is £2,200.
Stage 3: Is a further year of part-time study required to complete the Masters qualification. The cost of Stage 3 for those starting Stage 2 in 2018/19 will be £2,200.
There is no requirement to commit to all the stages from the outset and it is possible to pay for each stage in installments.
Non-accredited course: Teachers who do not wish to be accredited may attend the Listen Imagine Compose course for a reduced cost which will be between £500 and £1,000, depending on the size of the group.
Contact Judith Robinson if you would like to know how the accreditation works or if you have any other questions!
Music Education Hubs and other potential partners: contact Judith Robinson to discuss how Listen Imagine Compose can be delivered in your area.