We are looking for the next cohort of secondary school teachers to join the Listen Imagine Compose CPD course.
The CPD is designed to offer secondary music teachers the opportunity to develop skills in teaching composing with KS3, GCSE and A level students.
- The course can be delivered across the UK in partnership with local hosts;
- The course delivery team includes Professor Martin Fautley, Professor Pam Burnard, Gary Spruce and Dr. Jonathan Savage, supoprted by professional composers and musicians;
- The course can be accredited by Birmingham City University at Level 7 (Certificate/ Diploma/ Masters);
- Students can be a mix of those who do and do not wish to be accredited, subject to a minimum of 4 being accredited;
- The year-long programme comprises 6 x 3 hour sessions plus additional time spent undertaking action research in the classroom and reflection on professional practice.
During the course teachers will:
- Reflect on what composing with young people entails;
- Learn new creative strategies for teaching composing;
- Develop pedagogic strategies for teaching composing;
- Develop existing schemes of work;
- Undertake Action Research;
- Are mentored by a leading academic and teacher trainer;
- Work with professional composers;
- Network and learn from other secondary music teachers participating in the CPD
“I have been the lead academic on Listen Imagine Compose since its inception in 2010, and have been researching how composing is taught and learned in secondary schools for many years, and LIC is a logical development from this. It offers sound research-based principles, coupled with a clear and logical CPD offer for teachers. I have enjoyed working on the pilot of the Listen Imagine Compose CPD with teachers, and am delighted that it is now being offered by Sound and Music as a Masters in Teaching and Learning, accredited by BCU.”- Professor Martin Fautley, Professor of Education, Birmingham City University